Shurr Adventures Employment
Thanks for taking the time to check out our guide positions. Join Shurr Adventures Kayaking and Hiking company in Yellowstone National Park, a small family business seeking kayaking guides who are experienced kayak guides, who are safe, humble, team players, enthusiastic, can take direction and can work alone without supervision. Shurr Adventures leads small groups kayaking and hiking in Yellowstone National Park this upcoming Summer until Sept 1.
Dates are flexible for the right candidate. (willing to start earlier for training and stay later for fall hiking tours for the right candidate)
In the winter months, Nov. 1st to May 1st Shurr Adventures heads back to Florida to lead kayaking tours in Everglades National Park. The right candidate or candidates who are hired in Yellowstone and does a great job in the summer would have an opportunity to work in Everglades National Park as a kayak guide (if he or she wants to). This is a great and fast way to learn, guide, and gain invaluable experience in two of the best national parks in the United States, without having to apply twice. There is opportunity for fast growth within the company for the right candidate as our company though small is growing fast. For budding guides, naturalists, biologists, and people wanting to work in the National Parks as a ranger or a long term outdoor job, this is a great way to make your resume look very attractive for the future and to gain great connections throughout the outdoor guiding industry and National Park systems.
The proper candidate must have outdoor guiding experience as a raft guide, sea kayak guide, hiking guide or other outdoor guiding positions and a college degree in geography, biology, geology, or another related field.
We are looking for guides who enjoy spotting wildlife and teaching guests about the Yellowstone ecosystem in a safe and fun way. As a kayaking and hiking guide, you will be dealing with the many elements of Yellowstone and this job is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced sea kayakers.
About our Company and What to Expect
We are a small family company that has been around for 13 years. We have both been guides for around 20 years each as hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, and rafting guides. We are looking for the right person(s) to help represent our company the way we have done for years as we continue to grow. We have the smallest group to guide ratio, which helps with customer safety, experience, and great tips for the guides. After the guides are comfortable and fully trained a lot of days it will be just you and your guests on a tour.
- Must have a First Aid certificate or receive one before you start, preference will be given to people with a Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.
- Must be able to multi-task (a.k.a answer guest questions while ensuring group safety and be able to spot wildlife).
- College Degree or sea kayaking guiding experience. It's a plus to have any of these listed degrees Biology, Ecology, Natural Sciences, Education, Outdoor Education, Geography or any other related degree.
- Must be a birder or interested in learning. (A plus if you know common Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem birds and their calls)
- Must be able to study on your own the whole season and keep learning
- Must be able to back up a 15 passenger van and a kayak trailer or willing to learn quickly :)
- Must be able to kayak for 8 hours in a day(with a break in the middle of the day) and paddle around 6-12miles daily For hiking 6 to 10 miles hiking a day.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to lift 60 to 80lbs a lot every day
- Must know how to read a map, compass, and chart
- Must be able to follow directions.
- Must be organized and punctual
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Must be patient, kind, and customer service orientated.
- Must be an outdoor adventurer who likes sharing the natural world with people.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to work a couple weekends, but, (usually sat and Sunday off)
More than anything must be fun, happy, trustworthy, easy to work with and represent Shurr Adventures the way we have for 13 years. We are one of the busiest companies both in Everglades and Yellowstone National park, and we are also one of the smallest so there will be lots of kayaking and hiking tours the guides.
Housing Near Yellowstone National Park
There is and has been a housing crisis and just not enough places in the area. It took us two seasons to find housing , lots of people live in their vehicles in Jackson hole, or they have a trailer, or camp. It's not the most ideal situation, but it is also a really cool way to spend your summer. We know, as we lived in our mini van to start this branch of our company, while running our Everglades tours in the summer at the same time. You can always check Buckrail on facebook(its great info on how to live out there in shared housing or in a vehicle) or the Jackson Hole newspaper for rooms for rent.
Tour trips start in Grant Village in the park, and there are campgrounds within the park but it is hard to get camping every day ( all of the companies deal with the same thing here) , there are many days you will have a long but beautiful commute, or have to look for other camping which in busy season can be nonexistent. Car camping or tent camping is a must and it's what all the other companies guides have to do as well, there is no way around this. The closest towns to try and find housing are Island Park, ID (1:2O minutes) or West Yellowstone, MT (1:15) or Jackson Hole, WY which is around 1:30 hours. The housing is almost impossible to find but there is a camping spot outside of the park that can be reserved as well to have a guaranteed spot with wi-fi, electric, showers, and laundry. This camping spot is $10 a night or an RV spot is $450 a month. We will subsidize 50 percent of your camping outside of the park or for the RV spot (both are in Island Park, ID). In Yellowstone Park, the camping fee is $26 a night and is fully covered by Shurr Adventures. If living in Jackson we would subsidize 250 if you find anything to rent.
Pay is $125 per half day tour (3 1/2 hours paddle time per tour and there can be two trips a day so 250 per day) and $150 for a full day trip (5 hours) after full day guide can do sunset tour so would make 275 per day. With the service that we provide, our guides have been very happy with their tips as well.
There are one to two positions available so couples that can work together) feel free to apply. We also invite friends or co-workers from the same company who work well together to apply as well. If you don't have any real guiding experience yet please don't apply, we don't want to waste your time. The water is very cold and can become very dangerous for inexperienced people. Must have a reliable vehicle. Please do not call if you want to be considered Thanks. Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org